05 June 2007

The decision to return

Luke 17:15 "...he returned..."

If you have been a Christian for some time and have attended church frequently, I am sure you have sat through sessions of praise or praise & worship or singing or however you want to call it. You would have heard about clapping and praising God. You would have heard about dancing and praising God. You would have heard about singing and praising God. You would have heard about jumping and praising God. You would have heard about praising God with instruments, praising God with shouts of joy. Falling prostrate and praising God. Praising God in tounges, praising God with your tithes. I could go on and on and I am sure you could add to this list as well. However, there is one way of praising God that I have seldom heard: “return and praise God”

Mark 17:15,16 says, “Then one of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, praising God with a loud voice. He prostrated himself at Jesus feet and thanked him.” I want you to notice 3 of his outward actions:

1. He turned back

2. He praised God with a loud voice

3. He prostrated himself at Jesus feet and thanked him.

I want you to notice the response of Jesus in verse 18: “Was none of them found to return and give praise to God…” Jesus leaves out the “loud voice”. Jesus also leaves out the “prostration.” I would have liked it if Jesus had said. “Was none of them found to return and praise God with a loud voice by prostrating himself…” But that is not what Jesus said. Jesus conveniently leaves out the fact that the praise and thanksgiving to God was demonstrated using “a loud voice” and “prostration.” However, he does make mention of the fact that it was done after “returning”

It tells me that the manner of praising God is not as important as the decision to praise God. But for me to make a decision to praise God, I have to “return.” Although this does sound trivial, it isn’t. Allow me to illustrate: If I decide to take a casual walk down town and I realize that I have to return home for some reason or the other, the decision is an easy one to make. However if I decide to go to a concert and I realize that I have to return home for some reason or the other, the decision will not be as easy. If I am on my way to a very important meeting at work and I realize that I have to return home for some reason or the other, the decision will be harder still. If I am on my way to a doctor’s appointment for a very crucial health diagnosis, the decision to “return” will be extremely difficult. The decision to “return” is made easy or difficult depending on the degree of affinity and importance of the “subject” at the other end.

If the leper’s decision were to only “return” from a casual walk, it would have been an easy one. However the leper had to decide to “return” by sacrificing his visit to the priest. Jesus had told him to go show himself to the priest. Once he had realized he had been healed, he “returned.” In those days, only the priest had the authority to pronounce a leper “clean.” Jesus wasn’t one of the official priests that had the “right” to pronounce a leper clean. The process of pronouncing a leper clean and the “purification” process thereafter are so detailed and complex that the book of Leviticus has 116 verses dedicated to it: i.e. the whole chapter of 13 and 14.

In short, he turned down human approval to “return” and praise God. One of the most challenging things for me as a Christian has been to make that decision. The challenge of turning down human approval for what Christ has done for me and in me. That is why praise is described as a sacrifice in Hebrews 13:15: “Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise—the fruit of lips that confess his name.” To sacrifice the certificate of a priest which officially makes you “acceptable” in the society again and “return” to praise God! WOW! I wonder if I could have done that. If you and I can, the delight it will bring to the heart of God is unspeakable.

Jesus says, “…Was none of them found to return…” Notice the word “found.” You could only use the word “found” if you have been searching. I wonder if Jesus is still searching for that today: For us to sacrifice human approval of God’s work in us, and then “return” to praise God. Search your heart today. How often do you sacrifice human approval and make a decision to praise God for what he has done? It is a daily struggle for me. “… bind the sacrifice with cords, even unto the horns of the altar.” Psalms 118:27

Chemistry was one of the subjects I took in school. No matter how many people tell me I’m good in Chemistry, it wouldn’t mean as much as hearing it from my Chemistry teacher. My friends could tell me I’m brilliant in Chemistry. However if my teacher tells me that, it would give me joy unspeakable. Hence, I acknowledge that he/she is the source of my knowledge in Chemistry. One of the best definitions of praise I have come across is in Psalms 87:7 “As they make music they will sing, "All my fountains are in you." The keyword there of course is “ALL”

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

amen...all my fountains are in you jesus...You are the reason why i can be proud...proud to be your child....cause theres NO OTHER reason for me to be proud...
so let me be humble & meek...n sacrifice human approval...

hey sujith,good job, bro!!! i luv readin ur articles...the're a part of my personal silent time...
god bless u...
may u get much more blessin from above for beein a blessin to so many even thru net...

Agile for the Lord said...

thanks for reminding the important. you will be rewarded for this sure. blessings!

Jayme Gurl! said...

Thanks once again dear brother...may I always "return" to praise my God for all He has done in my life. To return to Him and leave the approval of the world. For His approval is what I seek. The world will never suffice. It is the one way I can show my love for Him and yet even that would not be enough to say thank you for the things He's done. Praise His holy name!

Blessings my friend,
jayme

Unknown said...

Thanks for that beautiful thought Sujith- 'The challenge of turning down human approval for what Christ has done for me and in me.'

Anonymous said...

good job man!! as always u make me think!

Bonny Andrews said...

awesome insight.... just keep it coming and bless the nations..!!! Cheers

SAJU said...

Sujith, I am so happy to read your meditation
I should say, I am proud of you-
Saju

Alex Thomas said...

Well done Sujith. Human approval is less significant and God’s approval is the most important one. But I learn a lesson of obedience here. When did the real healing take place? When Jesus asked them to go to the priest or when they reached the priest? It actually happened in between. In verse 14 He said, "Go, show yourselves to the priests." And as they went, they were cleansed. While they were still infected, they decided to obey the command of Jesus (though it probably did not make sense for them) which was to go to the priest and show themselves. This step of obedience released the power from Jesus and they were healed even before they reached the priest. Even though only one of the ten lepers returned which was a step of gratitude and worship, the other nine lepers also decided to go to the priest as the Lord commanded. God bless you.
Papa

Anonymous said...

Yes sujith, you are absolutely right. I want to thank you for the reminder. Sacrificing the human approval for what God has done in one's life and returning to the Lord and praise Him is not an easy task unless the Lord is the first in the priority list. The spirit in me rejoices when I go through your thoughts. So proud of you. God bless.
MG Uncle.

Genoy said...

The message really touched me and makes me think. “Sacrifice human approval and make a decision to praise God”. One more thing that made me think is the way he praise the God. Verse 13 says they called out in a loud voice, "Jesus, Master, have pity on us!” Verse 15 says “One of them, when he saw he was healed, came back, praising God in a loud voice”. Here they requested or prayed to Jesus in a loud voice and the one, who came back to Jesus, praised God in loud voice. Now, think how long and how loud we prayed for our healing, deliverance or for job etc….. and how we return to God to praise Him and thank Him. Do we thank Him in the same way how we prayed for the matter?

Thank you, Sujith. God bless you.

Anonymous said...

Hey Sujith, amazing thought about returning to praise, as always it was really touchy.
Very true what most people (including us) do is.. we start prioritising the blessings god has given than the blessor who is Jesus himself, that´s when we drift away from, we dont return to praise him, am sure this message of ur urs will change many lives.

In this passage, i noticed one more thing in the verse 4 14 He said, "Go, show yourselves to the priests." and the obeyed without giving it a second thought. Ive learnt in life one of the most important things, and that thing is god always gives an unusual instruction, which will sound stupid and worthless to the people who are not of god. But only when we abide and listen to that unusual instrucution of god, u can see him working in unusual ways. And that is why he is the God of Impossibilities.
Keep it going..May god bestow his blessing upon u and sustain u.

Regards
Prettina Emerson

nevin said...

Good work Da...it was an excellent thought
nevin

Timotheus said...

This thought is always been with me.I praise God for another insight of Worship.2.What about the reaction of the 9 persons when they heard him shouting & praising? Were they so thick hearted that it did not prompt them to follow the 10th freind?How about the Barrabbas,rescued from the Cross by Jesus,in person?We all are exactly as Barrabbas was & got our Substitute?Do we owe our life to Him? timbahl@rediffmail.com

Unknown said...

excellent.. It jus gives me immennse reason to go back to HIm even though I am a Sinner.. He still searches for me and the lost that's the most amazing part.. God Bless you and keep posting.

Sujith Alex said...

@ Papa

Good observation. The healing occured after a step of obedience that didn't make sense in the first place!


@ Genoy chachen

I never noticed that! They cried for help in "a loud voice" One man returned, praising God in "a loud voice" His efforts of praise were as significant as his efforts of request, if not more! Thank you for bringing this point to our notice.


@ Prettina

Well said. We often patronize the blessing rather than the blessor. Only a person abiding in God can obey unusual instructions which causes God to work in unusual ways. He is indeed a God of the impossibilities!


@Timotheus

I've never thought of that before! Like you said, the other 9 must have heard this guy praising God in a loud voice. Even that did not prompt them to return to Jesus! WOW. I wonder why. Good analogy of Barnabas and Jesus. Yes, we do owe Him our lives!


@ Glen

He's always searching..amazing:)

Rini Abraham said...

:):):):) tats all i can say sujith...
n i love that part, where u highlighted the word "found" .. true, Jesus is lookin, waiting, watchin...for us to return to Him.. God bless u!!!