08 May 2007

A man with a stick

There is a man I know about and his life is a pretty interesting story. I guess he always had his way and very few people would dare oppose him because his foster dad was a real big shot in the country. He lived in a huge house and had every comfort he could ask for. One fine day he did something that landed him in a huge mess. His dad was really mad at him. It was so bad that he decided to run away from home and so he did. The poor guy no longer indulged in the luxury he once had at home. Nevertheless, he settled down in a place far away from home. One day he was hanging around town when he saw a bunch of girls stopping by for a drink. He noticed a few guys trying to bully them. Well he could have just ignored all of it and gone his way - instead he jumped to their rescue and chased those bullies away. The girls happened to be siblings and were obviously pretty impressed by his chivalry. They went home and told their dad about this man who had made their day. Well their father was impressed by what he heard and so he had him come over for a meal. He really fit in well with the family and he began living with them. After a while, he married one of the sisters and even had a son with her. He even started looking after their family business.

This man’s name is Moses and you can read this story in Exodus chapter 2. The mess he got himself into was that he had killed an Egyptian one day. “When he went out the next day, he saw two Hebrews fighting; and he said to the one who was in the wrong, “Why do you strike your fellow Hebrew?” He answered, “Who made you a ruler and judge over us? Do you mean to kill me as you killed the Egyptian?” Then Moses was afraid and thought, “Surely the thing is known.” When Pharaoh heard of it, he sought to kill Moses. But Moses fled from Pharaoh...” (Exodus 2: 13-15)

We all make mistakes in life. Although we do not fear the mistakes themselves, we do fear the consequences those mistakes have brought about. Moses was not afraid he had killed someone, he was afraid of its consequences. The mistake he had made:

1. Caused him to lose his authority over his own fellow Hebrew.
2. Terrified him when he learned that everyone now knew of his mistake.
3. Caused him to flee Egypt even though he was the Prince of Egypt.
4. Caused him to fear Pharaoh because Pharaoh was bent on killing him.

It was because of all of the above reasons that Moses fled to Midian. It was because he fled to Midian that he sat down by a well there. It was because he sat there that he saw the daughters of Jethro, the priest of Midian. It was because he stood up for what was right on that day, that he was called for a meal. It was because of that meal that he got to know the family and started living with them. It was because he lived with them, that he got married to Zipporah. It was because he settled well with them that he was given custody of Jethro’s sheep. It was because he had to take care of his father-in-law’s sheep that he needed a stick or staff or rod.

And it was this stick that became a snake when it was thrown down. It was this snake that swallowed up the other snakes in Pharaoh’s court. It was this stick which struck the Nile and turned it into blood. It was this stick that brought frogs up on the land of Egypt. It was this stick that struck the ground and produced gnats. It was this stick that was stretched to heaven and thunder, hail and lightning flashed. It was this stick that brought the wind that produced the locusts. It was this stick that struck the Red Sea and parted it. It was this stick which Moses held up with the help of Aaron and Hur from morning till sun set and Joshua defeated the Amalekites that day. It was this stick that was referred to as the "staff of God" (Exodus 4:20) All this occurred because it so happened that Moses made a mistake and ran for his life from Egypt.

When I think of the goodness and wisdom of the King of Kings ... who chooses to use the consequences of my fears and mistakes... as a platform to give me opportunities to equip me with a tool or an anointing (stick).... to help me in my mission for life and thus reach my destiny... it blows my mind. “O Lord, you have searched me and known me. You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from far away. You search out my path and my lying down, and are acquainted with all my ways. Even before a word is on my tongue, O Lord, you know it completely. You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is so high that I cannot attain it.” (Psalms 139:1-6)

Are you feeling down today because you no longer live in Pharaoh’s palace because of something stupid you did? Are you living in fear of the consequences of the mistakes you have made? Are you feeling dejected that once you were the Prince of Egypt, but now all you do is keep sheep? Are you feeling devastated because people around you have come to know about your mistakes? Are you tellingyour self today, “I have failed in life”? If so, I have news for you: “For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope.” (Jeremiah 29:11)

God reverted every consequence of his mistake:

1. He had lost authority over one fellow Hebrew, but he gained authority over a nation of Hebrews.
2. He was devastated because everyone had come to know his mistakes, but Moses became “a man of great importance in the land of Egypt, in the sight of Pharaoh’s officials and in the sight of the people”(Exodus 11: 3)
3. He fled Egypt but God sent him back to “perform before Pharaoh all the wonders that God put in his power” (Exodus 4:21)
4. He feared Pharaoh but God “made him like God to Pharaoh” (Exodus 7: 1)

Looking after sheep using a stick might not sound very exciting compared to being a prince - but while he was leading those sheep, he “came to Horeb, the mountain of God”. The rest is history. Deuteronomy 33:10-12 says, “Never since has there arisen a prophet in Israel like Moses, whom the Lord knew face to face. He was unequaled for all the signs and wonders that the Lord sent him to perform in the land of Egypt, against Pharaoh and all his servants and his entire land, and for all the mighty deeds and all the terrifying displays of power that Moses performed in the sight of Israel.”

Moses grabbed that one opportunity of standing up for the daughters of Jethro, and that is how he became a flock caretaker, and that is how he got his stick. Moses lost out on a lot because of his mistake but he gained a stick. God used that to fulfill his destiny. Are you lost somewhere out there with a stick, tending to sheep and saying to yourself, “if at all I hadn't made that one stupid mistake!” Do not be disheartened - if His eye is on the sparrow, His eye is on you too.

I mentioned this before, but I'll mention it again: When I think of the goodness and wisdom of God ...who chooses to use the consequences of my fears and mistakes... as a platform to give me opportunities to equip me with a tool or an anointing (stick).... to help me in my mission for life and thus reach my destiny... it blows my mind. To God be the glory!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sujith, its something new I never thought before.. God bless you.
I have included one of your articles - I can not do it in May Snehadeepam
Waiting for next tuesday - Gigi

Jayme Gurl! said...

Sujith....WOW! God is BEYOND amazing at what He can do with us. The tough thing for us is to come to the point of brokeness so He can use us. Thank you for sharing this with us today....I too look forward to next Tuesday.

Blessings...
jayme

Anonymous said...

God Bless you . . . . thank you. Would love to see the red blobs all over the map :-) feels like 'The Blood'. I pray God keeps you blessed as you are.

Alex Thomas said...

Dear Sujith
It is a wonderful and timely message to us. We thank God for the amazing revelation that you receive from the word. “For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God ……….” (2 Timothy 1:6). We are proud of you. God bless you.
Papa and Mum

SHINU THOMAS said...

Dear Sujith ..
Good revelation da .. coz Lord is leading the same way nowadays .. its amazing that He speaks about this again and again through different Preachers … its good see one from u in different perspective da … keep up the marvelous work going … God Bless

Unknown said...

Yo Sujith,

Great articles man... It is especially comforting to know that God has uses for our mistakes too... Keep preaching it man... God Bless ya...

Malc

Anonymous said...

he is so good...i dnt deserve it!
how can he turn bad things always to become best for me?y?
this will be a mistery to me till i am in his presence...rooberoo.

Anonymous said...

ach,
how encouraging.. thank you.

Unknown said...

I am sorry, was busy. Your doing a beautiful work for the glory of God.Keep on doing as the spirit of God leads you.

cheryl said...

sujit, its really true we dont realise it that jesus has come for those who seek him, he is waiting for us with open arm it is just one invitation from our heart to open the door and he will step right in.
God Bless You Sujeet for opening peoples eyes.

Rini Abraham said...

sigh, amazin... love the way u put it

Judith Jim Thomas said...

jeremiah 29:11 is the verse that God's been speaking to me for last 1 yr i am glad the first blog i read of ur's did tell me the samething god bless u

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing. I came across this, once again, at a time I really needed the encouragement. May GOD bless you, and continue to use you as His channel of blessing to many.

Unknown said...

Indeed a new perspective of how God changes our weakness into our greatest strength for His glory when we are willing to obey Him. He enables us to re-visit our troubled past and emerge victorious where we were once looked down upon. Sometimes there are moments when we are taken into the desert place for edification and preparation before we set foot into palaces and claim our miracles.
A very nice post as usual Sujith!